Panel discussion on the EU strategy towards authoritarian and illiberal leaders / Monday 15 February 2021
As Europe starts to draw the lessons of the Trump Presidency and assesses its options to promote its values abroad, the need for renewed engagement internationally will become very clear. Res Publica Europa invited panelists to explore how Europe adopting a pragmatic approach to handling illiberal and authoritarian regimes could help meet the EC’s ambitions to become more geopolitical.
- Nathalie Tocci, Director of the Istituto Affari Internazionali IAI
- Reinhard Bütikofer, MEP and Chair of the EP Delegation to China
- Hans Kribbe, political theorist and author of “The Strongmen: European Encounters with Sovereign Power”
- Steven Erlanger, Chief Diplomatic Correspondent Europe at The New York Times
- Costanza Hermanin, Policy Fellow, School of Transnational Governance, the European University Institute EUI in Florence.